Friday, May 26, 2017

Nutrition philosophy

If you had asked me my nutrition philosophy several years ago it would have been something along the lines of everything in moderation, eat a variety of foods for health to fulfill your senses and tastes but after 6 years of working in a hospital my current nutrition philosophy is:
Eat a fucking vegetable.
Just one, every day, forever. Preferably not a potato in the form of a fry or a chip.
That's it.
There is no magical vegetable that I will tell you to eat although if you'd like me to assign you one off the top of my head I can. You there eat beets. They'll make you super healthy... make your eyes bright, your teeth white and child birth a pleasure. Plus for funzies if they're fresh they'll make your pee red. Eat a vegetable, preferably not the same one every day, ideally 4-5 servings a day, but at this point I'll settle on one.
We are fantastically terrible at eating our vegetables. Only 6% of Americans meet their recommended veggies per day. Most people only get less than 2 cups of fruits and veggies per day when it should be 4-5 cups per day, and when we look at who is meeting that, the numbers drop to 1% of adults getting their recommended amounts.
Now you can say I don't like vegetables but I challenge you: have you tried every vegetable ever in every possible way it could be prepared? No? Go find a new vegetable and try it in a new way. Purée that bad boy and hide it in your spaghetti sauce.
My challenge for you is to try, no actually do, eat a vegetable every day, for the next week, month, year... see how you feel. Heck get crazy try to hit that 4-5 cups a day. Tell your friends, start a movement... eat a fucking vegetable.

No comments:

Post a Comment